2014 YEA Banquet

Talk about the series, upcoming races, or anything else!
ZacCrowl

2014 YEA Banquet

Post by ZacCrowl »

I know its a tad early but I want to get members thoughts on location and time of the YEA Banquet. Traditionally it's always been at the first race of the year. This seems to work well for folks to not have an excuse to miss it, but it always cuts short the time folks can visit and just hang out without worrying about getting to bed early or repairing bikes from that days practice.

I'm throwing around the idea of having the banquet at the most central place possible, ie Little Rock. Not sure where, but I'm up for suggestions. Perhaps have it 2 weeks before the first round or the week before. Most of that is controlled by how soon we can get YEA in from Fly and the trophy supplier.

Love to hear your thoughts. Just because we've always done something a certain way doesn't mean we should continue.
Whatever class I am fast enough for at the time: 13' 300 XC
14' AHSCS President
11',12' A Vet Champion
14' A-Open Champion

ZacCrowl

Re: 2014 YEA Banquet

Post by ZacCrowl »

No thoughts? In that case, we are gonna have it at Chick fila...I love those chicken salad sandwiches!
14' AHSCS President
11',12' A Vet Champion
14' A-Open Champion

RuthGould

Post by RuthGould »

I'm all for having it on an off weekend bc for some of us it makes for a very very busy hectic weekend. I also like the idea of having it in a hotel banquet area like last year. The place Travis & crew got stranded at after one of the races this year has a large banquet area. Can't remember the name of the hotel though. Holiday Inn maybe?? It's where Alice 107.7 used to do the second chance prom.
Scoring Director
501-246-6210 text or call
[email protected]

ZacCrowl

Post by ZacCrowl »

If anyone knows of some good locations in the little rock area please let me know. I really think we would all enjoy it more if we didn't have to squeeze it in a quick 2hr time frame before prepping for a race.
14' AHSCS President
11',12' A Vet Champion
14' A-Open Champion

Greg Newsom

Post by Greg Newsom »

We had the very first AHSCS Awards Banquet (in the current incarnation of the series) at the Western Sizzlin' in Russellville on Saturday night. On Sunday, we had a fun ride/poker run just to the north at the Moccasin Gap trails. Everyone that attended had a blast even though the arrowing was a little skimpy (we all got lost). It was nice for everyone to get together for a relaxing afternoon without any pressure of having a race.

Greg

Travisdupriest

Post by Travisdupriest »

I kinda like the non-race weekend Idea also. If we can find a location Russellville or Clarksville would most likely be the most Centralized area for the Majority of the riders.
2014-2017 Vice President
2016-2017 #341 B35+
2014-2015 #541 C35+
2013 #741 D35+
2012 #851 Beginner Vet

ZacCrowl

Post by ZacCrowl »

Would most prefer just to come to a banquet or banquet then ride on Sunday?

Finding a central location with a nice banquet hall AND somewhere close for a Series ride might be tough these days.

I'm listening just keep talking...thank you.
14' AHSCS President
11',12' A Vet Champion
14' A-Open Champion

dlcgod

Post by dlcgod »

Strictly speaking for my family, we would rather have the banquet and race in the same weekend.

1. With other commitments, our weekends seem to be in short supply.
2. Financially, (depending on the locations) separating could result an extra hotel stay for us.
3. We're not big time party people, so racing the day after the banquet has not been a problem for us.
4. I think less people would attend the banquet if it were separate. Think about the families that drive from Louisiana, Tennessee or Texas, if they have to drive to Russelville or Clarksville for a 2 hour banquet and not race the next day? Probably not coming.

With all that being said, I can appreciate that it's a lot of work for those who put on the banquet and then run a race the next day. Maybe a banquet committee?? Separate from our great race volunteers.
I nominate Travis Dupriest, any seconds? :lol:

My 2 cents
Thanks,
Don

ZacCrowl

Post by ZacCrowl »

I agree with all of that and appreciate your input, Don. We will keep getting input and hopefully come up with what works best for everyone.

I think Travis should be nominated for any extra work we have.
14' AHSCS President
11',12' A Vet Champion
14' A-Open Champion

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I'll agree with Don regarding attendance on a non race weekend.
There are those of us that attend regardless but others may not justify the trip.
Instead of a race why not a Harescramble school?
Set up short practice sections visible to spectators
Obstacles
Ruts
Flat corners
PVC tree sections laid out like ADR 2013 ;-)
Etc etc

There is a lot of combined talent in this group of current and former racers. Kids and kids at heart could all learn something from each other. Racer guest speakers are great but actually demonstrating a skill and critiquing would be fun.

thatonefastgirl211

Post by thatonefastgirl211 »

i believe that we should keep it the way we have done it before and have the banquet and race the same weekend. racing is a very expensive sport as everyone knows and it takes nearly all my paycheck to race or to travel. if the banquet and race was split up, it would probably lower the attendance and will not allow everyone get the trophies they were awarded in front of all the race family. so my vote would be to keep it the way we have done it for a while now. "why change it, if it already works?"
thanks guys! :)

PRESTON

Post by PRESTON »

I see both sides of the situation as both probably have the same amount of pros vs. cons. Me personally, I have always enjoyed the banquet being on a race weekend, seeing that I've never experienced anything otherwise I cant speak for having it on a non-race weekend. I Think I would enjoy it just as much and not having to really worry about a time constraint seems like it would a bit less stressful for the organizers and the attendees. Everyone would prolly agree the major concern is the travelling situation, no matter how centrally located it would be the location is still far away from a big percent of the people.

Honestly I don't think the term "You don't fix something that ain't broke" really applies to dirt bikers, but if that were the case, how do you know if it will have a positive or negative impact without giving it a try??

something to think about.
Preston Caple
2014 AA #5

North Little Rock Honda / Arkansas Yamaha
501 758 1339
www.hondanlr.com

Smith's ATV and Cycle
501 514 3105
www.smithatvandcycle.com

RuthGould

Post by RuthGould »

I'm curious here... If the banquet were on Saturday night and we were to have a fun ride on Sunday... instead of a strict organized race... say it was an organized event of sorts... and say there were some freebies involved (hypothetically speaking of course)... and maybe all attenders get first place points. :shock: Did I get carried away!? :lol: Did I mention that I'm hypothetically speaking? :mrgreen: Would that help encourage folks to come on an off weekend? :D

Really don't mind either way. I just miss hanging out with y'all sometimes on race day. I need to get back to working sign-up. I like seeing y'all without your helmets on all the time. LOL!
Scoring Director
501-246-6210 text or call
[email protected]

jayriverroad

Post by jayriverroad »

Man that's a tough one, I agree with all of the above, haha. So many good points on the pros and cons on keeping it as is or having different dates. I agree with Ruths point on having more time to visit and hang out with everyone, without having to rush to get there and rush to leave to be ready for race morning, It would be an added expense if the banquet was one a separate date. If the banquet was set for a separate date, think of it this way, look at it as an added race to the schedule, Yes it is an added expense, but not as expensive as a race, and I don't think many would fuss if there was a race added to the schedule. I am not saying one is a better choice than the other, but it is very very human to become creatures of habit and not look at a change as a positive move. I would say try it, Do separate dates, if it works, great !!, if it doesn't change it back to the original way the next year. You want know until you try, and nothing says it cant be changed back. Some things need to be tested to see if they work, and there is nothing that cant be fixed if it doesn't work

ShelbyJohnson

Post by ShelbyJohnson »

I'm suggesting that everyone take a good look at the membership analysis map. I

f the series hosted a banquet in the Central Arkansas vicinity it is:

1) Closest to the maximum number of members
2) It is central to all of the remaining members who may be eligible for an award

I'm advocating that we give the Awards Banquet at a non-race event date a try. Maybe even share that map with the public forum and suggest good reasons to try something new.
Shelby Johnson #190 A50+@gunpowderracing
Unabiker, Vortex, X Brand Goggles, Flexxbars & Dunlop

Yvonne

Post by Yvonne »

I have kinda kept quite on the subject to let the members speak....seeing that I am in Texas and HAVE to be at the banquet....lol. BUT I do think we need to give it a TRY, somewhere around Little Rock, at least two weeks before the first race. BUT, keep in mind that will move my timeline on getting YEAs in and ready up. So, when it is time to vote and pick your YEA, please do it as soon as possible.....don't make us chase you down and beg you.
Yvonne Schwindt
Contingency

Travisdupriest

Post by Travisdupriest »

I think this would be a very informative and great area to post the map.
2014-2017 Vice President
2016-2017 #341 B35+
2014-2015 #541 C35+
2013 #741 D35+
2012 #851 Beginner Vet

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Membership analysis details have been posted to the website.

You can find the information here.

http://www.ahscs.com/2014-membership-analysis/

Rob

Post by Rob »

At the last Cedarville race Mike mentioned that he was improving one of his buildings and was nearly finished. Would that be available for the banquet and maybe a fun ride or race?
FB: ATeam off road racing, Winters Trials Central, http://www.s3parts.com, http://www.kendatire.com/en-us, https://www.klim.com/

Yvonne

Post by Yvonne »

Rob, that would be great except it is no where near the centrally located. We want to make it where as many people as possible can drive there within 3 hrs. Cedarville is at least a 5 hour drive for those of us located in the south.
Yvonne Schwindt
Contingency