The Best Hare Scramble Race Bike for 2015?

Talk about the series, upcoming races, or anything else!
ShelbyJohnson

The Best Hare Scramble Race Bike for 2015?

Post by ShelbyJohnson »

Well its that time of year again where I think to myself that I would really like to get a new bike. This weekend mine gave me another good reason to think about getting a new bike. I've searched around a little bit and here's what I think at the moment.

1) That new Yamaha 250F that is purpose designed for Hare Scrambles looks like a good package. But that package comes with the long-term maintenance woes of all other four strokes. After maintaining a four stroke for a few years I'm just sort of worn out dealing with the valve checks. I just do not have the time.

2) So then I think about the two strokes and then I get lost... there's too many to choose. There's the debate between 250 vs 300, then there's the KTM vs the Husky, same/same or different/different and what really distinguishes one from the other. Then there's the quote "exotics" like Sherco, GasGas, Beta. And then cluttering up the picture even more is the age old standard Yamaha 250 two stroke motocrosser.

I'm at the point that there's so much to choose from that I can't figure out what might be best. Here's my requirements analysis.

1) Must have an electric start
2) Sure would like a side stand
3) Would like the easier maintenance of a two-stroke
4) Sure would be nice to be able to find aftermarket accessories, e.g. guards, skid-plates, and availability of oil & air filters, etc.

So you tell me what fits my wish list and why?

This should be fun.
Shelby Johnson #190 A50+@gunpowderracing
Unabiker, Vortex, X Brand Goggles, Flexxbars & Dunlop

ShelbyJohnson

Re: The Best Hare Scramble Race Bike for 2015?

Post by ShelbyJohnson »

Oh and one more thing... can you explain in real simple terms the REAL difference between a KTM XC and KTM XCW ? This ain't no trick question. Just simple terms. 5th grade reading level please.

Travisdupriest

Post by Travisdupriest »

Shelby are looking at brand new, or new to you. Some of those differences are different depending on year I think.

I can tell you I work on very few KTM 300, More of the 200 and 250. I think it is because most people don't ring out a 300 everywhere they go.
2014-2017 Vice President
2016-2017 #341 B35+
2014-2015 #541 C35+
2013 #741 D35+
2012 #851 Beginner Vet

wfopete

Post by wfopete »

Shelby...don't do it. You will only get your feelings hurt by some rider in your class when he beats you on a 4 year old clapped out bike. Put the money you would have spent on the bike for after-the-race deep massages, prescription Ibuprofen, motivational DVDs on riding and colorful bouquets of flowers for Mrs. Gunpowder.

Of course it is November and KTM orange might just be your color for 2015.
Pete Petrick
#121 Stark Varg Alpha; The amperage suckin', tire shreddin', chain snapin' environmentally friendly suicide ride.
Slow but Good.

gduncan

Post by gduncan »

YAMAHA that's all I have to say. The only Kant Take Much I would ever consider would be a 300, the survive by not ever being on the rev limiter. I will have a YZ250FW the day they hit the market.

jayriverroad

Post by jayriverroad »

We are kind of the odd balls on Hondas, Last year Noah was the only one in his class at several races that wasn't on orange. We have had great service out of Honda, I have 4 ranging form an 05 up to a 2014. They are tough bikes, We do adjust valves around every 20 hours, change engine oil, filter and trans oil every 5 to 7 hours. The 2005 bike made it to 100 hours before valves needed replaced, did the first top end at that time also, but it was perfect, basically no piston slap and the cylinder still showed the cross hone marks. The parts for a Honda are way cheaper than KTM, top end parts are around 250 to 275. I like the 4 stroke crf250r. Tough bike, cheaper to operate and easy to get extra hp out of it at a reasonable price. Lot off aftermarket parts, But I am very interested in the new Yamaha you posted hahahha, I think that would be the only brand we would change to if we change

ShelbyJohnson

Post by ShelbyJohnson »

wfopete wrote:Shelby...don't do it. You will only get your feelings hurt by some rider in your class when he beats you on a 4 year old clapped out bike.
Well at this stage I'm not worried about trying to win races of even get on the podium so much as just tired of needing to keeping replacing worn out stuff and maintenance. It would be fun to have a period of time where I just wash one off after a race, change the air filter and oil when needed and not have to do much else.

Jason Harmon

Post by Jason Harmon »

I have 111 hours on my 2012 YZ250F and the only maintenance I've ever done on it has been changing the oil and keeping a clean air filter in it. I haven't had to adjust the valves a single time thus far.

The 2004/2005 KX250F was Kawasaki's first modern four stroke motocross bike and the motor was notorious for having issues. I think you'd probably fare much better with any current four stroke, although I think most would agree that Yamaha's are the most durable.

A lot of people will recommend a two stroke KTM 250 or 300 XC and those would probably be fine choices if you want to go the two stroke route.

Blyoth

Post by Blyoth »

XC versus XCW. The XC leans towards the hare scramble guy that likes to jump out on a MX track every once in while. It has the linkage rear suspension and tighter gearing that makes it feel like it has more hit. The XCW is more for the enduro/trail riding guy. It has the linkless rear suspension and the gears are spread out a little more (W=wide ration). Husky only has one woods and MX. The woods version is supposed to be somewhere between the XC and the XCW. Very few riders can ride a 300 on the pipe much and for that reason as stated above they rarely wear out. I put a top end in my 300 this summer at 175 hours basically for preventive maintenance. After pulling it apart I think it could have gone another 100 hours easy. I just didn't want to drive 5 hours to a ride and find out I should have rebuilt my motor.

ShelbyJohnson

Post by ShelbyJohnson »

Thanks Bruce I actually understood. I never really knew what the differences were and that was really easy to understand.

ZacCrowl

Post by ZacCrowl »

Any modern bike should not have reliability issues. 2 strokes are simple to work on, period. 4 strokes for most intermediate mechanics get pretty stressful quick when you start getting into the engine.

I'm on my 3rd, 300. I've owned 4 strokes both yamaha and ktm. 250's, 450's, and 250-strokes. The only place a 300 struggles is when paired against a 450 in a straight field or on an actual motocross track. Those 2 things don't happen in harescrambles. The new 300's electric start is impressive, they have sidestands, put a rekluse in one and you can ride it like a XR200 or you can get on the pipe and let the 300 eat! I went with the xc version this time because it was better suited for "A" speeds with regards to the suspension. After Terry Brumley tweaked it, you can't beat it. XC-W i would say should be reserved for "B" speeds and below. That's a broad generalization, but just my experience on how they feel.

Everyone knows that racing is 90% rider, 10% bike, but when that bike and rider are sitting at the starting line or on the side of a hill trying to get the ol' 4 stroke to start, it turns into 99% bike, 1% rider.
Whatever class I am fast enough for at the time: 13' 300 XC
14' AHSCS President
11',12' A Vet Champion
14' A-Open Champion

Rob

Post by Rob »

There is no Magic bike out there.
Judging from the Pro's the 350 four stroke seam to be a top pic. If I would pick my fav. a GagGas / Ktm 300 2 stroke or the Sherco 300 4t does it all pretty well.

A 125/200cc 2t will make you feel like a super hero. Being able to hold it wide open all day long working hard for you. The light weight and flicability rewords you with incredible corner speeds and stopping power. A recent ride reminded me of this. I just traded the GasGas 300 for a KTM125. The first hard braking turn I came to I got on the brakes ready to slide it in to the burm. The 125 stopped so quick I had to get back on the gas to drive it into the turn. The bad part if you make a mistake on a hill, miss a gear or are just not aggressive you will fall off speed real quick. This could be viewed as a good thing to make you faster.

A 250 2t would seam to be a weaker version of the 300. I fact it is more responsive with a little more "Hit" in the power band. I like this, the bike feels much less lumbersome than the 300 or any fourstroke. A aggressive rider would be faster on a 250 2t.

Another key point is how you set a bike up. Trent's KX250 and GagGas 300 are probably the fastest hardest hitting bikes on the track. His strength and endurance allows him to ride these beast hard were the rest of us mortals would be struggling to stay on them after 30 minutes. I suggest setting a bike up so you are faster the last 30 min. of a race not the first 30 min.

I would look at some of the Pro's used bikes for sale. They have been set-up to race XC. Parkers Husky 250 would be my 1st pic for most racers. He likes his stock smooth power band. The bike almost feels slow but it just hooks-up and goes without surprises nor tiring. Zac's 450's look real nice to.
Then you maybe just thinking of trying something different. Kelly likes his KTM XCW 250 with some SX mods. He likes the GasGas but is thinking of going 4t just for a change

As far as the different makes, a friend of my compared all the makes like bowls of soup. " They all taste great but you know there is a Fly in there somewhere."
FB: ATeam off road racing, Winters Trials Central, http://www.s3parts.com, http://www.kendatire.com/en-us, https://www.klim.com/

dlcgod

Post by dlcgod »

Shelby,
I have a 2013 300xcw, and I love it. You are welcome to ride it, either after the race or you can come to Cabot and take it somewhere and try it out. The north little rock off-road park is not far away.
Just let me know,
Don Godfrey

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

After the last race my 14 300 xcw has 53 hours on it. Once I sorted the jetting I've done nothing but airfilters and lube. Estart has been flawless. Travis Dupriest is the only person to have defiled my kickstarter.
The lower first gear of the xcw is handy in really slow technical stuff. I like the wider ratios compared to a true motocross bike. One thing about the 300 is you don't need to rev it out. It loves to lug and works well riding a gear higher than you would normally ride other bikes
It is almost stall proof even without a rekluse. Hit a hill in too high of a gear? Just twist the throttle and it will make up for your mistake.
With different powervalve springs and jetting the 300 can be mild to wild. Very tunable.
With all that said I'd probably be faster and less tired on a 200 xcw. They are less tolerant of the too high of a gear at the bottom of a hill but they have plenty of power for woods racing and aren't as scary as a whiskey throttled 300 ;-)
I'm a big fan of the pds link less suspension. Less wear points and nothing hanging down under the swing arm. Are linkages better? Maybe... but I'm a woods racer not a motocrosser so the pds is fine.

The most important thing is being happy because new bikes are so insanely expensive.

Me.....I smile every time I swing a leg over my smoking pumpkin.