2022 Officer Nominations

Talk about the series, upcoming races, or anything else!
Jason Harmon

2022 Officer Nominations

Post by Jason Harmon »

2022 Officer Nominations

Nominations are now open & will remain open through November 22nd.

Only active members can nominate another member to hold office. Only active members shall be eligible to hold office in the AHSCS.

Active members shall be entitled to hold elected office & vote in AHSCS affairs AS A PROMOTER OR OFFICER, and to win any prizes in AHSCS activities.

Terms: The terms of the President, Vice President, Treasurer, Scoring Director, Contingency Director, and Webmaster will commence on January 1 of each year and end on December 31 of the same year. All officers shall hold offices for twelve months or until their successors are elected. In the event of a vacancy in any of the elective offices, the President shall nominate one of members to fill the vacated office. If there are no willing nominees, the vacant officer position may be filled by another officer for the length of the term.

The Officers will also act as the BOARD OF DIRECTORS.

Duties of the Board of Directors:
  • To act for the corporation in all matters ordered by the corporation.
  • To properly investigate and present to the corporation all business or important activity situations.
  • To make final decisions upon member expulsions.
  • To have general control over all AHSCS affairs.

All officers will receive:
  • One complimentary series membership for the year in which they are elected to serve.
  • One complimentary race-weekend gate entry for themselves per event.
  • One complimentary race entry per event. (Race entry may be applied to an immediate family member, but cannot be applied to the AA class.)
Scoring Director will receive all of the aforementioned benefits as well as a second complimentary gate entry for an immediate family member. Scoring Director is to receive a portion of the scoring fees that are divided out amongst the "Scoring Crew" at each event.

Job Duties of each position include, but are not limited to:

President:
  • To preside at all meetings of the AHSCS.
  • To have general supervision of the affairs of the AHSCS.
  • To act as Public Relations contact and first contact of all matters regarding AHSCS.
  • To make sure the proper registered agent and contact information is updated with the Secretary of States' Office.
  • To appoint any person or committee not otherwise ordered by the AHSCS.
  • To personally represent the AHSCS on proper occasions and business contacts.
  • To assist all other officers of the AHSCS in their records, correspondence and other activities.
  • To vote only when necessary to break a tie.

Vice President:
  • To perform the duties of the President in his absence.
  • To act as Public Relations liason to aid promoters in promoting AHSCS events.
  • To keep a record of the meetings of the AHSCS.
  • To send out notices of regular meetings of the AHSCS.
  • To perform such other duties as generally fall to that office.
  • To act as Secretary of AHSCS.

Treasurer:
  • To collect dues from all the AHSCS members.
  • To collect all other moneys due the AHSCS.
  • To pay all bills incurred by the AHSCS.
  • To act as Insurance Communications Officer (ICO)

Contingency Director:
  • To be responsible for all end-of-year competitive awards and AHSCS championships.
  • To obtain series sponsors.
  • To report race results to manufacturers, when applicable.
  • To assist President in planning and executing annual Year-End Awards Ceremony.

Scoring Director:
  • To manage operations within the scoring software as necessary.
  • To transport scoring equipment to and from all races.
  • To coordinate and manage the "Scoring Crew" throughout race weekends.
  • To input rider memberships and race entries into the scoring software.
  • To collect "Scoring Crew" fees and distribute accordingly.
  • To post results upon completion of the races.

Webmaster:
  • To maintain and update the AHSCS website. (Nominees must possess the appropriate knowledge necessary to perform this task.)
  • To maintain the AHSCS message board.
  • To coordinate with race promoters and officers to post relevant series-related information and announcements.
  • To help maintain social media channels as well as provide appropriate access to other officers.

Officers and Promoter Votes: Each officer and event promoter position will have one (1) vote. All eligible voters may select a proxy to cast their vote. The President shall vote only in the event of a tie.

2021 Officers
President: AJ Tart
Vice President: Jacob Hyatt
Treasurer: Donny Whitfield
Webmaster: Jason Harmon
Contingency officer: Clay Bowen
Scoring Director: Ruth Gould

If you are nominated, you may choose to either accept or decline the nomination. If you accept the nomination, feel free to let everyone know a little bit about yourself and why you would be a good fit for the position!

scottwarren

Re: 2022 Officer Nominations

Post by scottwarren »

I’m wondering how the pay is set up for the scoring director and scoring crew. Is it per rider? If so, how much per rider and how is it disbursed among the director and those helping?

ShelbyJohnson

Post by ShelbyJohnson »

I nominate Jason Harmon for WebMaster.

This past year he completely renovated the website for the better, and upgraded the message board. He’s helped promoters with getting race information out and as if all of that wasn’t important, maybe more important is that he attends all the races and is involved in seeing what works well, and where improvements can be made in general. He’s done an outstanding job and I’d like to see him continue in this leadership role.
Shelby Johnson #190 A50+@gunpowderracing
Unabiker, Vortex, X Brand Goggles, Flexxbars & Dunlop

ShelbyJohnson

Post by ShelbyJohnson »

scottwarren wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:01 pm
I’m wondering how the pay is set up for the scoring director and scoring crew. Is it per rider? If so, how much per rider and how is it disbursed among the director and those helping?
Scott I don’t remember exactly what the amounts are but I can tell you it’s not enough. Ten years ago, scoring was contained in a big aluminum box and ran on two little Honda generators. Promoters provided workers to run race registration. Nowadays, Scoring and Race registration all run in the same 8x20 foot trailer that has to be at every race. Race registration is done by the same good people at every race and they know all the answers to the same questions that get asked over and over at every race. So we get consistency at every event. We can’t race without scoring. Whatever the amount is I don’t think it’s enough.
Shelby Johnson #190 A50+@gunpowderracing
Unabiker, Vortex, X Brand Goggles, Flexxbars & Dunlop

Boodles58

Post by Boodles58 »

These amounts(trailer towing, mileage, etc) should be known if someone is looking to consider one of these positions. Does the treasure put out a quarterly statement ?

Chief

Post by Chief »

I would like to nominate Jimmy Wade for contingency officer. He is a great member of the series. He has helped the series as a promoter, a racer, and a great bonfire builder. I think he would do a great job helping the series grow and build mutually-beneficial relationships with brands around the country and AHSCS.
Matt Leatherwood
2019 B35+ Champion
#324 B35+

Dirty30

Post by Dirty30 »

ShelbyJohnson wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:06 am
scottwarren wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:01 pm
Scott I don’t remember exactly what the amounts are but I can tell you it’s not enough. Ten years ago, scoring was contained in a big aluminum box and ran on two little Honda generators. Promoters provided workers to run race registration. Nowadays, Scoring and Race registration all run in the same 8x20 foot trailer that has to be at every race. Race registration is done by the same good people at every race and they know all the answers to the same questions that get asked over and over at every race. So we get consistency at every event. We can’t race without scoring. Whatever the amount is I don’t think it’s enough.
Hard for me to believe any one nominated for the scoring director would accept not knowing some dollar amounts . Even if it is “not enough “ they should know how much they will be losing by accepting this important role within our series .
Bryan M Vaughan #30

dwhitfield

Post by dwhitfield »

The series pays the scoring director 40 cents per mile to pull the trailer and equipment to each race. The total is approximately 900 per year. The other payment is to manage the member database for the series. This is 1 per member. For 2021 the total for membership management was 300. The scoring director is paid by the promoter to score each race. I do not have access to that amount.

RuthGould

Post by RuthGould »

Scoring team gets $3 per rider day of race. It’s split between all members of the scoring team that you see in the trailer on Sunday.
Scoring director gets $1 per rider once per year for membership management.
Scoring director gets 40¢ per mile for hauling equipment.
For the record, none of these amounts have changed since I have been scoring director. We definitely aren’t in it for the money. Lol!
Scoring Director
501-246-6210 text or call
[email protected]

RuthGould

Post by RuthGould »

Also should be added that if you race pro, you do not get a free entry at each event.
Scoring Director
[email protected]

JimmyWade

Post by JimmyWade »

I would like to start by saying....thanks for the nomination Chief!....and that I would be honored to be the 2022 AHSCS Contingency Officer. I graciously accept the nomination. This is such a great association and the Wade family is proud to be a part of it. We are always happy to help out in any way that we can.

I would also like to see the current officers retain their current positions within the organization for 2022. This has been a phenomenal year due to all of the efforts put forth by each of them.

Jason Harmon

Post by Jason Harmon »

RuthGould wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:46 am
Scoring team gets $3 per rider day of race. It’s split between all members of the scoring team that you see in the trailer on Sunday.
Scoring director gets $1 per rider once per year for membership management.
Scoring director gets 40¢ per mile for hauling equipment.
For the record, none of these amounts have changed since I have been scoring director. We definitely aren’t in it for the money. Lol!
Just for clarification, I had been told earlier this season that the $3 per rider fee had been increased to $4 unless the promoter supplies a helper. If anything, it sounds like our record keeping needs to improve because I've read through all of the archives that were available to me and still wasn't aware of the member management fee.

RuthGould

Post by RuthGould »

There was a lot of information lost on the old website. It’s been that way since Shelly Brown was scoring director maybe even longer. I guess you would have to ask Farrell and then ask whoever came before him. I know it’s been that way a long time. I started in 2014. Before me it was Kristen Calvin who was Kristen Dobbs back then. She did it in 2012-2013. Before her was Shelly & before Shelly it was Farrell.

I did find a promoter handbook from 2015 that has all the fees scoring gets on race day listed. I just can’t figure out how to post it from my phone.
Scoring Director
[email protected]

KristenCalvin

Post by KristenCalvin »

Let me just put this out there…The scoring director position is not a position for someone who’s looking to make a buck. I promise you, you’ll spend way more than you make. Take it from someone who did this job. It’s ALOT of work from inventorying everything (don’t dare forget something because you’ll face the wrath of the masses) loading up a TON of stuff, hauling it, unloading it (after you’ve traveled to the race site ahead of everyone else because you’re expected to be ready before everyone gets there), often setting up and tearing down after a long drive in the dark, ensuring you have enough workers, enough forms, enough pens, setting up the scoring chute (hauling and driving posts and tying banners), managing the different races (forget sleeping because you gotta be ready to roll by 7am!), trouble shooting equipment, constantly watching the area surrounding scoring to ensure no one comes too close with a helmet and skews the results, checking for short/long laps and manually adding any missed reads, printing results, collaborating with promoters the entire time, posting results, handling any potential discrepancies, then tearing it all down and loading everything up. Arriving home to unload it, clean it all up and restock for the next event to do it all over again. It’s stressful, it’s exhausting, it puts strain on your marriage and your friendships, you miss out on so much of seeing your kids and spouse racing, seeing your friends, socializing at events, etc. Then there’s what goes on behind the scenes from membership signup/management, online entry management, posting results, managing points, facilitating purchasing of transponders and paper and numbers, printing forms, answering questions, monitoring AP’s and moving folks, determining year end award eligibility, helping with the banquet…the list goes ON and ON.
When you’re sick, there’s no calling in sick to the event. People are depending on you and you’ve gotta be there.

This is a labor of love. It’s not a job for making a buck by any means. So, for anyone to suggest that anyone would/could/should do it for the money is absolutely nuts.

Boodles58

Post by Boodles58 »

True, you gotta love the sport & also not for profit organization.

KristenCalvin

Post by KristenCalvin »

Boodles58 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:35 pm
True, you gotta love the sport & also not for profit organization.
Absolutely. It’s an often thankless job and A LOT of really hard work with a great deal of stress. It’s not for the faint of heart and it requires unwavering dedication to the good of the sport/series. A few things have changed since I was in this role, but the amount of work, dedication, and grit required are the same.

Jason Harmon

Post by Jason Harmon »

ShelbyJohnson wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:36 am
I nominate Jason Harmon for WebMaster.

This past year he completely renovated the website for the better, and upgraded the message board. He’s helped promoters with getting race information out and as if all of that wasn’t important, maybe more important is that he attends all the races and is involved in seeing what works well, and where improvements can be made in general. He’s done an outstanding job and I’d like to see him continue in this leadership role.
Thank you for the kind words, Shelby! After much thought and deliberation, however, I have decided to step down from the webmaster position at the end of this year.

If anyone knows a good potential candidate for this position, talk to them and see if they would be interested in filling this role!

Semery200

Post by Semery200 »

I nominate Scott Warren for treasure.

Shellyahscs

Post by Shellyahscs »

Winston seconds Scott’s nomination

scottwarren

Post by scottwarren »

I accept the nomination. Thank you for the opportunity.