Discussion for rule changes for PeeWee in 2023

Talk about the series, upcoming races, or anything else!
JacobHyatt

Discussion for rule changes for PeeWee in 2023

Post by JacobHyatt »

This is a thread started to discuss any potential changes for the upcoming season in the PeeWee classes. There was some discussion about the PeeWee class at the year end meeting and this will be the best place to make comments or suggest changes.

Currently, there are 2 peewee classes:
- Peewee A for 8 years old and under, 50cc max engine size, and maximum of 12" front tire size.
- Peewee B for 6 years old and under, 50cc max engine size, and maximum of 10" front tire size.

Possible options for consideration (based on comments from meeting):
- making peewee B for ages 8 and under as well and instituting an AP system similar to other classes in the series
- changing peewee classes all back to 6 and under
- no changes (everything seemed to work well for the first year with new rules)
2022-2023 AHSCS President
#84 A- Open (2023 Beta 350-RE)
#85 A- Open (2023 Beta 350-RE)
#923 Schoolboy (2023 Beta 350-RE)

Peewee4life

Re: Discussion for rule changes for PeeWee in 2023

Post by Peewee4life »

I’m all for “making peewee B for ages 8 and under as well and instituting an AP system similar to other classes in the series”

Peewee is designed to be a beginner level in many sports. Once you have progressed there needs to be some sort of cut off. As always it should come down to series officials discretion but the series needs to be allowed to make those decisions without all the parents in the pits loosing their composure. We all come to these races to have fun and progress in our chosen hobby/passion, we don’t need to be worried about someone running over our children because they should be in a higher class or even a higher race.

Just saying the kid doing 5 laps doesn’t need to be in a class with the kid doing 17 laps… seems a little dangerous.

RuthGould

Post by RuthGould »

I agree that we should change the 6 & under to 8 & under also.
Scoring Director
501-246-6210 text or call
[email protected]

JacobHyatt

Post by JacobHyatt »

I also would lean toward making both classes 8 and under and instituting an AP system for the class.
2022-2023 AHSCS President
#84 A- Open (2023 Beta 350-RE)
#85 A- Open (2023 Beta 350-RE)
#923 Schoolboy (2023 Beta 350-RE)

Jason Harmon

Post by Jason Harmon »

This will be going up for a vote soon so if anyone has any additional thoughts, please chime in ASAP.

I will also add that the officers had an in-person meeting this past weekend and this PeeWee topic alone was discussed for well over an hour!

ShelbyJohnson

Post by ShelbyJohnson »

Have we looked at race entry data to see what last year’s change did to attendance / participation?

I wasn’t able to make as many races as normal, and the few I did make what I observed was the vote last year to change the class structure essentially decimated the Kids B class, because it appeared so many moved down to PeeWee.

Was that observation borne out the whole season or did we have stellar participation in the PeeWee classes and the Kids classes?
Shelby Johnson #190 A50+@gunpowderracing
Unabiker, Vortex, X Brand Goggles, Flexxbars & Dunlop

ShelbyJohnson

Post by ShelbyJohnson »

My impression was wrong. Just looked at the season points page and what I see is the Kids A row had 3 participants making most of the races, and then on the Kids B row I saw more participants, a couple of which rode up a class by also participating in PeeWee A row and the Pee Wee B row having less participation.

I can’t support leaving the PeeWee classes with an 8 year old limit, it needs to be moved down to 6, and a single class, the way it was before.
Shelby Johnson #190 A50+@gunpowderracing
Unabiker, Vortex, X Brand Goggles, Flexxbars & Dunlop

Motopearce21

Post by Motopearce21 »

This was Ian‘s first season and first time racing. He is 6 years old in the peewee B class as of last year. We really like the idea of him racing 2023 all on his 50cc and next year he will race his last year of Peewee A and on a 65 in Kids B. This would be ideal for his development into a rider that is ready for a larger bike and track. I say keep it at 8 under. I love the idea of Ironman being only 50% vs 70%. This will give many young riders the chance even if they are not on the podium every race. They show up, put in the work, reward them! I will NOT reel back my son in a race! We show up to win and are not here for a participation trophy. Ian getting beaten by Lilly stepped up his game to a new level and I’m glad. There is something about getting beat that awakens something in you! Just my 2
Cents.

Randy Lybrand

Post by Randy Lybrand »

Move back to 6 year old for 1 year and we will look at it again next year

Motopearce21

Post by Motopearce21 »

RuthGould wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:50 pm
I agree that we should change the 6 & under to 8 & under also.
So does this mean that Ian at barely 7 yrs old must move from Peewee B straight to Kids B and race against 65cc bikes? Or will Ian (unless he is just completely running away with it every race) be racing Peewee A in 2023 and 2024 until he is 9?

Motopearce21

Post by Motopearce21 »

Nvm, I think what you are saying is to keep it 8 and under but all one class. Am I correct? And if we have a peewee rider that is a certain percentage faster than the rest they should be bumped to Kids B.