No clue!

Talk about the series, upcoming races, or anything else!
Mike

No clue!

Post by Mike »

(I have edited my original message to make my question simpler.)

What skillset should a beginner rider be proficient at before attempting to compete (survive?) an AHSCS event?

Thank you for your time!

--
Mike
Last edited by Mike on Wed May 21, 2014 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

wfopete

Re: No clue!

Post by wfopete »

What kind of "Enduro" Motorcycle did you get? If it's older than a 2000 model, it better be a @(^!#$*% big lunch. Maybe you should offer beer too.

Keep in mind that AHSCS events need to accommodate Beginner/Novice Riders riders so they can't be that tuff. However after a couple of hours that often changes.

As a benchmark, if you can navigate the single track at Ross or Brock Creek riding areas you should have the basic skills to handle any AHSCS course, but those are not necessarily the first areas you should go to get your feet wet.

Good Luck.
Pete Petrick
#121 Stark Varg Alpha; The amperage suckin', tire shreddin', chain snapin' environmentally friendly suicide ride.
Slow but Good.

dlcgod

Post by dlcgod »

Mike,
I didn't see your first post. When you say "beginner rider" that can mean a lot of things. I would say that you should be able to safely operate a bike, before you start racing. (the basics braking, steering, etc) If you cant do that, your going to get yourself or someone else hurt.

There can be quite a bit of terrain changes at most of the races. So if you have the basics, I would say riding up and down hills would be a beginner "skill-set". Also riding on rocks. This time of the year most of the tracks are dry, but early and late in the season mud is a huge factor.

If you haven't done so, come to a race and watch, come early and walk some of the track and talk to people. The folks that race this series will go out of their way to help. Just 5 bucks to watch.

Pull up some videos on youtube of AHSCS races, that may give you an idea.

Hope that helps a little and good luck,
Don

Mike

Post by Mike »

I looked up some "D" race footage on YouTube as suggested. Thanks!

(Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU8M6zPG-Mk)

(I wasn't able to find a class less than "D" in the rules. I am 44 years old.)

I think I could handle the course solo, but I don't think I have the fitness (yet?) to do that for two hours. Plus the speed is a bit more than I figured it would be. I would hate to be a (slow) moving roadblock for two hours!

I wish there was a local place to ride that had a similar trail system but I have not found anything in the east part of the state yet. I do have a permit for the Ross Foundation riding area so I would like to try that sometime but it is almost a 200 mile drive each way. I would feel pretty stupid driving all the way out there and only being able to ride for a short while due to getting wore out!

I took my bike to a friend's house yesterday and ran my first few heat cycles through it. It is a lot more work than my road motorcycle but it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it was not technical riding in any way. I picked up on the shifting and clutch and stuff like that pretty easy from my road riding experience but almost everything else is new material for me to learn.

In my original first post, before I edited it, I mentioned that I have a fairly good background in road motorcycle riding and a past history in cross-country mountain bike racing. I just purchased an enduro bike and a trailer for it and I'm looking to learn and have fun.

I am pretty sure I will attend the next race in June to watch. It would be cool if I could ride one lap of the course after the race, under much less pressure, paying the entry fee of course. Is this allowed?

Thanks!

--
Mike

dlcgod

Post by dlcgod »

No, no riding after a race that I know of. But some races allow riding on the Sat. before the race. Travis Dupriest would be able to answer that for the Japtons race?

Try this site to find areas close to you, http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/

wfopete

Post by wfopete »

Mike;

PM sent.
Pete Petrick
#121 Stark Varg Alpha; The amperage suckin', tire shreddin', chain snapin' environmentally friendly suicide ride.
Slow but Good.

ShelbyJohnson

Post by ShelbyJohnson »

Mike this may not help much but given your road riding experience there are two major differences between the road bike and the woods bike.

On the road your down range vision is much farther and on the highway there is no distractions on the road surface itself. Well except for the occasional dead armadillo.

In the woods, everything about the course is a distraction. Rocks, roots, up, down, around and down again. Additionally imagine riding in confined space. The courses by nature are confined by the trees and that tends to limit down range vision. That effect combined with the trail distractions leads to one big problem for novice and experienced riders. That problem is having the eyeballs and field of vision 15 feet in front of the front tire. That causes me to slow down and it will lead to most any other rider slowing down as well. Big difference right there - field of vision limited. Trees extremely close by at speed. Once you get past the vision being trapped just in front of the front tire you can attain more speed.

The other big difference is that on the dirt that front brake will crash you in a corner. Whereas that rear brake will help you corner. It will make your corner better. That front brake can still be used but only when the bike is mostly straight up and down. ON the open highway a lot of riders won't touch their rear brake much. In the woods you have that rear brake ready to go nearly every second.

A few other words... try it! It is rewarding, challenging, gratifying and fun.
Shelby Johnson #190 A50+@gunpowderracing
Unabiker, Vortex, X Brand Goggles, Flexxbars & Dunlop

Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the tips!

I already washed out the front end turning up to a sandy hill because I used the front brake. It stops real fast! As you indicated, I very rarely use my rear brake on the road.

The boots I bought are incredibly stiff so I don't have a good feel for the rear brake yet. My first hour riding I wore my ankle-high road boots which have a lot of "feel". My second hour I wore the dirt boots which I hope someday will break in a bit.

I found out that I can ride at Craigshead State Park in Jonesboro so I am going to go test it out on Monday.

Thanks!

--
Mike

Greg Newsom

Post by Greg Newsom »

Mike,
I take it you live near Jonesboro... there are several of us that currently or used to race AHSCS or Black Jack (enduros) that live in that area. I'm sure we could meet up with you at Craighead sometime in the next few weeks and help you get acclimated to the racing world if you'd be interested.

Greg

Mike

Post by Mike »

That would be cool!

I rode there today and had a pile of fun. The ATV ruts were interesting because the bike wanted to (violently) follow the rut once I fell into one. My bike ran perfectly the whole time and I only wrecked (a bit of blood) once. (I fell over a lot, too!)

I know that ATV trails are not hardcore singletrack but I felt like I was in over my head - almost claustrophobic feeling at some points. I'm sure I will get used to it.

Thanks!

--
Mike

wfopete

Post by wfopete »

Mike be careful of anyone around Jonesboro. They will lure you into the woods, feast on your carcass then ride away on your bike. You have a new bike and that is very tempting bait for them. Greg keeps wanting me to ride up there...but I know better. :lol:
Pete Petrick
Slow but Good.

scotearl

Post by scotearl »

Apologies if you've already heard the lecture on safety gear - but here comes one!

Like you, I also have a road riding background. I am a staunch advocate of ATGATT - all the gear all the time. Here's what I always have on when dirt biking:

Boots, gloves, helmet, goggles, elbow guards, knee/shin guards, padded shorts, riding pants/jersey and chest protector (which actually covers you back, shoulders and sides too). Many people also use knee braces which help protect not only against impact but also extension injury. Another piece of "optional" gear you'll see people wearing is a neck brace.

As you can probably guess, my goal is to leave very few places unprotected. That's because the trails in Arkansas are full of rocks and other assorted hard/sharp objects. Even at the slowest speed possible, contact with such can be quite painful.

Like we say on the road, don't dress for the ride, dress for the crash.

openclass

Post by openclass »

Mike there are quiet a few from the Jonesboro area give me a call. 870-240-3589.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

This is a great group to learn from. I've learned something from virtually everyone I've met and/or ridden with.
I had a street bike background like you. I bought my first dirt bike in the fall of 2012. It was a 98 ktm 380 and I rode it 4 hours before my first race at Fox run that year. Definitely not a beginner bike but I've never been accused of doing things the easy way. I made one lap. On subsequent races my goal was simple, ride the whole race and make more than one lap. Eventually I did start to improve although most of my single track practice was during Saturday preride and races. I won my first race in D35 in the middle of the 2013 season. Racing dirtbikes is the hardest thing I've ever attempted but one of the most enjoyable as well. It's a grueling test of concentration and physical exertion, but it does get easier as you learn there are easier ways of getting over and around obstacles in your path.
The family atmosphere at these events just can't be beat and I've met some wonderful people along the way.

Once you feel comfortable on the bike just enter a race. When you hear a faster rider approaching give them room to pass and hold a steady line. Then watch them as they disappear into the trail ahead. I'm always in awe of how graceful and easy some of the riders make it look.

In addition to your own safety gear the bike needs handguards....good ones
Skid plates and brake rotor guards are also a good idea. I like my bars cut down narrower.
I love my steering damper.
You need a camelbak for sure
There are lots of you tube videos on harescramble/enduro, trials techniques that should help.

Don't worry about anyone else just enter the race, ride at your level and have fun.