Input & meeting info for members

Talk about the series, upcoming races, or anything else!
PRESTON

Re: Input & meeting info for members

Post by PRESTON »

I think I have to agree with Don on the topic of Saturday practice. The way I see it is every single racer gets to pre-ride, or NO racer gets to pre-ride. This makes it a fair advantage to everyone. Probably the majority of racers drive up the morning of race day because they cant justify the added expense nor the time to travel up and stay over night Saturday. I like the idea of ONLY getting to walk, or bicycle the trail the day before or possibly early early the morning of the race. The trail doesn't get beat up before the race even starts and allows for racers to be aware of any danger or technical areas to watch out for during the race. Most people probably wont take the time to actually walk or bike the whole course, but just so the people know they have the opportunity to get a brief sneak peak at the trail. kind of levels the playing field I think. As a rider in the Pro class, I would be more nervous to hear Parker say he "rode" the trail than for him to say he "walked" the trail. Even if I didn't walk the trail myself, I would still feel I am on a closer playing field than if he were to have actually rode the course. I feel the scenario would be the same for lower level classes, such as beginner or C classes, where the competition level broad.

Kind of a bad example but I hope y'all see what I'm trying to say.

Preston
Preston Caple
2014 AA #5

North Little Rock Honda / Arkansas Yamaha
501 758 1339
www.hondanlr.com

Smith's ATV and Cycle
501 514 3105
www.smithatvandcycle.com

jayriverroad

Post by jayriverroad »

As a promoter I am for it. Some of our promoters struggle to break even on their race. Saturday practice give them a chance to re-coop some of their expenses. I swear I am not fussing, but it takes a few thousands to put a race on. Depending on what the promoter chooses to do. We have to buy trophies, insurance, port o potties, emts, trail supplies, and other items that don't cover there own expense like tee shirts. By the time I paid everything last year at my race, which includes the series and scoring and the pros, It cost me over $6500 to put on that race. So I am in favor of letting the promoter charge and ride on Saturday. I do have the advantage of enough room I have a separate practice track ( even though last year everyone didn't follow the signs and rode my grass track and un marked areas )hahaha. I have really thought of doing team races Saturday, this way it is less time on the track, you still get to ride and I get the chance to make some of my money back. Preston, I swear I see where you are coming from, I really do. But I cant see taking away form the promoter, or the riders that can be there.

Ajudy300

Post by Ajudy300 »

One thing I read somewhere in the middle of this topic was about the idea that all racers have to become series members. I am curious the advantage to having things done this way? My experience of this was I showed up to an occra race, and surprise, u Cant race without first becoming a member. Had to pay 80$ for that one out of state race. Never been back. Can't justify paying that much for one race when I don't chase that series for points. I might be the only one there who felt robbed but I don't want to have new comers not show up because there first race will cost them double.

ShelbyJohnson

Post by ShelbyJohnson »

I like Saturday practice or chance to ride. I live in the middle of town. I own no land. There's no decent public place to ride nearby. When I have the chance to travel and camp for a race weekend the opportunity to ride a practice lap might be the first time I've gotten to ride since the last race. That's a benefit to me but not a competition advantage. Plus the series needs to do what it can for Promoters to offset their expense. Supporting promoters with practice fees on a Saturday is a positive for them to stay involved.
Shelby Johnson #190 A50+@gunpowderracing
Unabiker, Vortex, X Brand Goggles, Flexxbars & Dunlop

PRESTON

Post by PRESTON »

I agree 100% with Jay and Shelby on the promoters standpoint. My argue was mainly based on a racers stand point. At the end of the day it is up to the promoter to allow Saturday riding. Im all for helping promoters get as much out of a race as possible, because with no promoters, there are no races, and we as racers want to keep those promoters wanting to keep on hosting races. On the flip side, promoters should feel obligated to satisfy their racers so they will keep coming back. Its a 2 way street and no matter how hard we try, we will never satisfy everyone.

On Andrews Topic I agree also, I have also been to races where I had to join the series to race, knowing that's prolly the only race I will attend in that series. Seems completely un-necessary. I feel a rider should be able to show up, pay his/her entry, line up and race. Nothing more.
Preston Caple
2014 AA #5

North Little Rock Honda / Arkansas Yamaha
501 758 1339
www.hondanlr.com

Smith's ATV and Cycle
501 514 3105
www.smithatvandcycle.com

jayriverroad

Post by jayriverroad »

Thanks for thinking of us Preston,and you are right, as a promoter we cant exist with out all you racers. It takes all of us to pull an event off. I see the riders side that cant make a Saturday practice, I really do. I see it more for the lower class riders ( C,D and schoolboy, not low class riders ) ha. Most of the B and above riders are experienced enough they can handle about anything that comes their way. And I have yet to be on a track that the conditions stayed the same every lap. It seems each lap develops new obstacles that were not there the lap before much less during practice

Blyoth

Post by Blyoth »

Saturday riding can be good or bad for a track. We have had new locations that could really use the extra laps on Saturday to help establish the trail and we have had other locations that if we allowed Saturday the trail would be trashed before the first green flag. I am for letting the promoter decide if they want Saturday riding or not.

Travisdupriest

Post by Travisdupriest »

Meeting: 2014 Year End Meeting for AHSCS

Date: November 15, 2014

President: Zac Crowl
VP-Secretary: Travis DuPreist
In attendance: Shelby Johnson - Webmaster
Yvonne Schwindt - Contingency Officer
Ruth Gould - Scoring Chair
Donnie Whitfield- Treasure
Promoters-
Guests: Approximately
Meeting comes to order
Old Business

No old business for Mid-Year Meeting at Hot Water.

Announcements-
-11 races on board for next year schedule almost ready to release with a couple more possibly in the works.
-Treasury report to lead into YEA “Changes”
-Wanting to develop a larger general fund to use for emergency equipment, future purchases and series promotion improvements
-YEA Banquet area not chosen yet please go to board for discussion, as soon as the race schedule is finalized that may help decision making.

Topics for Discussion:
-Please limit discussion to 3 min per person
-The meeting will have a 1 hour time limit
-All topics will be moved to message board for further discussion which will close on Dec 15, 2014. This will allow for members not able to make the meeting to have the opportunity to get involved before voting.
-If time runs out and topic can’t be discussed it will move to the board for discussion with the close of discussion Dec15, 2014

Official Race Starter for all races
PA or Announcement systems
Gate Fee
Pee Wee Race times
No practice before races
Official Race sweeper incentive
Class Champs must move up
AP discussion to include short course
2015 Officers – President. VP-secretary,Webmaster,Contingency,Scoring,Treasure
2014-2017 Vice President
2016-2017 #341 B35+
2014-2015 #541 C35+
2013 #741 D35+
2012 #851 Beginner Vet

jayriverroad

Post by jayriverroad »

I like the idea of every rider must become a member, Now I do feel $80 is way too high. Any other series you go ride makes you pay a membership fee, except Danny, but Danny is structured a lot different than the Arkansas series and others. The series too has to cover expenses during the year, and year end. If you are a member and riding for points it will help you. Non member riders puts an extra job on scoring too, they have to sort through who is and who isn't and who gets what points. If a non member wins a class, and a member gets 2nd. then the member gets first place points but remains a second place finish, if I understand that right. That is the main reason others make you be a member. I am not sure how Danny does it, But if you have a non member win but retains the first place points, and not riding for year end points,that kind of kinks it up in my eyes. If the series had every rider become a member ( $20 ) then that money can go back to the series in equipment, upgrades, and things to help boost the series up a notch or two. I really think this series has a lot to offer, and a lot of room to grow. I hate to say it this way, but more money means better and bigger races, more give aways , just more to offer in general, which will make these "one time racers" want to come back and race more with us, in my option. I am not suggesting going to this extreme , but we were going to ride the TORO opener this year, But scheduling got in the way. Here is their break down. Gate= $5 per person, $10 per bike, $10 per ATV and/or Side by side ( if raced or not) and $5 per vehicle then buy a membership and race entry fee.

kenpowell

Post by kenpowell »

I'm with Preston - it's terribly unfair to allow Saturday practice. Getting to know the course is a huge advantage. If the promoters must have more revenue (and I agree that it costs a huge amount to put on a race) then up the entry fee by $5.00.

Rob

Post by Rob »

PA or Announcement systems: Nice but not really need in my opinion. I would invest in getting the scoring to have live updates to web. FB, twitter, what ever..
Gate Fee: Hate to because it hurts when you bring family and friends. Suggest charging by Vehicle
Pee Wee Race times: The track is better too easy than to scare them off must be real easy to follow.
No practice before races : Charge for practice Sat and Sun morning or pay to play Sat and Walk / MTb only Sun. no charge
Official Race sweeper incentive : I maybe interested in this
Class Champs must move up : I think it should not be a hard rule but recommended. Scoring Chair should review.
AP discussion to include short course . Scboy running for just a hour is different than pacing yourself for 2hrs.
FB: ATeam off road racing, Winters Trials Central, http://www.s3parts.com, http://www.kendatire.com/en-us, https://www.klim.com/

Travisdupriest

Post by Travisdupriest »

Please Go to appropriate year end of meet topics for further discussion to keep item in topic.
Thanks
2014-2017 Vice President
2016-2017 #341 B35+
2014-2015 #541 C35+
2013 #741 D35+
2012 #851 Beginner Vet