YEM topic Offical Race Sweepers

Talk about the series, upcoming races, or anything else!
Travisdupriest

YEM topic Offical Race Sweepers

Post by Travisdupriest »

2015 "official race sweeper"

I would like to see us discuss race worker incentive for 2015 season. The workers would be utilized as official race sweepers on race day. I know I have swepped more than one track un-expectedly this season. I had multiply people willing to sweep my course if they had to, but all were still eligible for Iron man. My first sweeper "non-racer" did not have the skills he thought he had. I had to fire him the day before the race. Another promoter approached me with the same problem here is our compiled suggestion. The intent is to add these people to the promoter’s volunteer staff not replace his/her volunteer staff.

A promoter can have 2 and only 2 "Official AHSCS Sweepers" and 1 alternate race sweeper for his/her event. The names for the Official AHSCS Sweepers and the alternate must be given to the AHSCS President of Vice President a minimum of 30 days before the event. (this prevents the my bike is broken but I want Iron Man rider). The promoter does not have to utilize Official AHSCS Sweepers.

Qualifications for Official AHSCS Sweeper
-must be an current Member of AHSCS
-must be a C or better
-have names in 30 days in advance
-must check in at check-in opening and remain available until after protest period
-Official AHSCS sweeper must wear Official AHSCS Staff vest during the event

The Official AHSCS Sweepers and the promoter shall not lose their eligibility for Iron Man for the event they put on or work. This benefit can only be used once per event per season. The Official AHSCS sweepers for their hard work will be given 1 free race entry, paid for by AHSCS to be utilized at any non-cosanctioned event or points for working the event. He/she will receive a 0 for points for the race but not loss ironman status. Remember we have several throw a ways per season.
For the morning sessions both should be on the track as a lead and follow sweep. They are there to assist scoring officer and with injured or downed riders and correcting blown ribbons and other track issue.

For the long course it is suggested that only one sweep be running the course at a time with one sweep waiting with scoring. These two riders could switch out each lap. This would keep a fresh sweep rider with scoring the entire race and one on the track the entire race. The sweeps will be used to help downed riders, locate injured riders, report and or correct race issues like blown ribbon etc.......
Cost to series would be; $27 per rider x 2 max $54 per race that they are utilized, a promoter is not required to use this benefit or may not be able to obtain volunteers for the event.

What does AHSCS get for providing this option?

The number one benefit is a more professionally ran series. AHSCS is the premier off road motorcycle series in the state we need to back that up by the way our races are run.
Many of our promoters do a fantastic job with providing sweeps and helpers for the event. But I think EVERY PROMOTER could benefit by having these “Additional Helpers” on the track.

- We would have more sweeps available at the start of all races and the end of all races this hopefully will lessen chances of delaying a race because of no sweepers. "This happen more than you realize"
-They can assist promoter and his/her helpers with track re-routing if necessary.
- During the race we have racers as sweepers that can recognize track issues that might be able to be corrected on the fly like downed ribbon, adding ribbon at un-expected blown corners etc... -Realistic reports from a seasoned rider about track conditions
-Always having a sweeper at timing to be dispatch able to a problem brought in by other riders
-Freeing up some of the promoters helpers to do other activities which equals a more professionally ran event.
- May even help during protest period as an unbiased set of eyes that may have seen track issues or other problems

There will be an area on the board those willing to volunteer could add there name to give promoters a list of helpers to pull from if they don’t have some in their area they already know.
2014-2017 Vice President
2016-2017 #341 B35+
2014-2015 #541 C35+
2013 #741 D35+
2012 #851 Beginner Vet

Travisdupriest

Re: YEM topic Offical Race Sweepers

Post by Travisdupriest »

Post by Rob:
Official Race sweeper incentive : I maybe interested in this
2014-2017 Vice President
2016-2017 #341 B35+
2014-2015 #541 C35+
2013 #741 D35+
2012 #851 Beginner Vet

jayriverroad

Post by jayriverroad »

Great idea !!!!, Will really help the promoter, the officers and the racers.
As a promoter my problem is everyone I know that rides a motorcycle and has half a clue how to get around the track is racing, If we has seasoned riders sweeping they know how to get out of the racers way, know not to race them how to fix blown ribbon, help down riders, the list can go on, I am 110 % for this

JWEBB

Post by JWEBB »

I really like the idea of "active" sweepers during the race. I ran a Hillbilly series race in Missouri earlier this year, I had a crash and had bike trouble. Within minuets one of there sweepers was there to check on me. I was fine just had bike issues, so he radioed for someone to see if they could help me, and a second sweeper came with a tool pack and tried to help. I had too much trouble, and stayed with my bike and settled in and watched the rest of the race. But as I did I noticed they had at least three guys constantly on the course with radio communication watching for any issues that came up. Very professional and I was very impressed.
116 A35+
Empty Pockets Racing
Motorsport Mission
JNEMotorsports