Need Help starter problems

Talk about the series, upcoming races, or anything else!
dlcgod

Need Help starter problems

Post by dlcgod »

Hey everybody
I have a 2013 KTM 300 XCW, when I press the starter button-nothing!

1. Battery is good.
2. I took the starter off hooked it up to a battery and it spun fine.
3. I replaced the starter button
Still nothing

Whats next? electrician to chase wires?

Thanks
Don

ZacCrowl

Re: Need Help starter problems

Post by ZacCrowl »

1) Check the fuse on the relay, right next to battery.

2) Ohm the kill switch, making sure it's not shorted

3) Check voltage on battery..what is it?

4) Its a ktm 2 stroke electric start, pull it off and kick it. Kicking is faster than those if they ever do work.
Whatever class I am fast enough for at the time: 13' 300 XC
14' AHSCS President
11',12' A Vet Champion
14' A-Open Champion

Tanner

Post by Tanner »

I had the exact same problem with a 10 Ktm 300xcw that I used to own and when I removed the starter it would crank as well. This is what I had to do to fix it.
I first charged the battery to make sure it was fully charged and checked the connections at the battery and also at the starter relay. My starter relay would go "click" when I pressed the starter button so I knew the starter switch and its circuit was ok. I next took my 12v test light and connected the ground side of it to the starter body and the other side to the large wire on top of the starter under the rubber boot and pushed the start button. When I done this test the light was dim but not bright when I pressed the start button. Then I connected the ground side of the test light to the negative post on the battery and repeated the test and the light was bright as it should be when I pressed the start button. This proved that I had a starter ground problem.
The starter on KTM 2 strokes bolt to the rotor cover which has a gasket between it and engine case and the only path for a ground circuit back to the battery is thru the screws that hold the cover to the crankcase. On my bike to fix the problem I first made sure that the surface between the starter body and the rotor cover was clean and the 2 6mm bolts were torqued properly, then I removed each of the cover screws, cleaned them with a wire brush, cleaned the cover where the heads of the screws contacted the cover, squirted contact cleaner into the bolt holes and blew out with air, put some dielectric grease on the bolt heads and threads and reassembled. Starter fixed.

Hope this helps, good luck

dlcgod

Post by dlcgod »

Blown fuse, hope that's it. Didn't have a spare so ill try today.

Thanks for responding Zac and Tanner.